Only Veterans entitled to the maximum benefit rate, as determined by service requirements, or their designated transferees may receive this funding. Active duty Service members and their spouses are not eligible for this program. Child transferees of active duty Service members may be eligible if the Service member is qualified at the 100 percent rate.
To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program:
- You must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill
- You must not be on active duty or a spouse using transferred entitlement
- Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program
- Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals, as stated in their participation agreement
- Your school must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information
You may be eligible if you fit the following circumstances:
- You served an aggregate period of 36 months in active duty after Sept. 10, 2001
- You were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001.
- You are a dependent eligible for Transfer of Entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill based on the service eligibility criteria listed above.