A student can request a Cost of Attendance Appeal if he/she believes the Cost of Attendance used in determining the financial aid package was insufficient. All budget increases will be in the form of loan eligibility.
The 2020-2021 appeal is now available.
The 2019-2020 appeal deadline was May 1, 2020.
Review able budget items include:
- Medical/Dental Expenses
- Personal Expenses
The following expenses will not be considered for a Cost of Attendance Appeal:
- Telephone expenses, utilities
- Car payments, car insurance, and repairs
- Transportation to and attendance at graduate and professional conference
- Resume preparation and job interviews
- Expenses incurred prior to the beginning of the academic year
Computer Loan Request
Our office recognizes that personal computers are a part of a student’s educational expenses. As a result, Financial Aid recipients may qualify for additional loan eligibility to assist with the costs associated with the purchase of a computer, including a monitor and a printer. This program is intended to assist students who do not have a computer, not for students who want to upgrade or replace their computer.
How it works
If a Cost of Attendance Appeal or Computer Loan Request is approved, you will be offered additional loan. Due to annual limits on Student Direct Loan eligibility, it is possible that your eligibility will be restricted to PLUS or Private Loans.
To apply for a Cost of Attendance Appeal or Computer Loan Request, you must:
Have a Financial Award Letter from our office
Have not already received a Computer Loan in a prior year, if requesting a Computer Loan
- Have actual expenses that incurred while enrolled for the current academic year at UCSB. All students must provide receipts for expenses.
How to Apply
Cost of Attendance Appeals or Computer Loan Requests are located here
. Students must select the Cost of Attendance Appeal.
For Computer Loan Requests only:
- Attach an invoice or retailer description of the computer you intend to purchase (or receipt if you have already purchased) as your Third Party Documentation.
- After your request is processed, you will receive an email with your loan eligibility and further instructions. The maximum loan amount offered will be $2000.