Thomas Fire Updates: Disbursements, Refunds, and Academic Progress

Due to the impacts of the Thomas Fire, fall quarter 2017 has been extended, with final exams scheduled for January 8-12, and winter quarter will begin on January 16, 2018. Read the full text of Chancellor Henry T. Yang’s letter to campus here.

To ensure that no students are adversely affected by this schedule change, please review the following important notes:

  • Winter quarter financial aid will be disbursed to BARC as planned on December 29th for students currently enrolled in fall and registered in winter. This will allow direct deposit refunds to be received as early as January 2nd .
  • Students previously on Financial Aid Probation for Fall 2017 and who are currently registered for Winter 2018 will have their probation term extended automatically into Winter 2018. No appeals will be required of students. Please see below FAQ’s for more information.
  • Emergency resources are available for students personally impacted by the fires by contacting financialcrisis@sa.ucsb.edu.
  • A letter for landlords explaining potential delays in funding is available for students to print here: Letter to Landlords

For more information, please review the FAQ’s below and contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at (805)893-2432 or via email at finaid@sa.ucsb.edu.


FAQs for Financial Aid Recipients:

I am still on-campus and need to speak with a Financial Aid Advisor. When can I visit the office?

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will be available via phone and email the week of December 11th. Due to air quality concerns, the front desk will remain closed. We can be reached at (805)893-2432 from 9 – 12 and 1 - 4 or via email at finaid@sa.ucsb.edu. Updates to the office schedule will be posted on our homepage: www.finaid.ucsb.edu.

I typically receive my financial aid disbursement at the beginning of the quarter. Will that be affected by the decision to extend fall quarter?

No. Financial aid disbursements and refunds will not be delayed for students currently enrolled in Fall and Winter quarters. Disbursements to BARC are scheduled on December 29th, and refunds through direct deposit will be available as early as January 2nd.

I receive financial aid and know that my grades must be submitted to maintain eligibility. What should I do?

All students on Financial Aid Probation in Fall 2017 who are currently registered in Winter 2018 will have their probation term extended into Winter 2018 with no appeal required.

Once grades are made available, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will release students from Financial Aid Probation who met Satisfactory Academic Progress during fall quarter.

Students who did not meet Satisfactory Academic Progress in Fall 2017 will not need to file an appeal to maintain Winter 2018 financial aid. Students in this situation will be emailed directly with further information.

Note: This type of probation is for financial aid purposes only and is separate from academic probation policies for academic standing with the University.

Due to the fires, I took “incomplete” grades for the quarter. Will I still be eligible for winter financial aid?

Yes. Students who received “Incomplete” grades will maintain their financial aid eligibility for Winter 2018. Students meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress will not have grades reviewed until the spring quarter has been completed.  

If you were on Financial Aid Probation in Fall 2017 and are registered for Winter 2018, your probation quarter will be extended into winter quarter and your financial aid will remain intact. Once your incomplete grades have been updated, please contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships directly to have your academic progress re-evaluated.

My family and I have been negatively impacted by the fires. What emergency resources are available to me?

Through the Financial Crisis Response Team, students may qualify for emergency funding or pursue a revision to their financial aid package. Additionally, the Financial Crisis Response Team can connect you with emotional support resources and assist in developing a plan to address stressors that are resulting from this challenging situation. For one-on-one assistance, please contact financialcrisis@sa.ucsb.edu. You can expect a response within two business days.

My winter quarter refund will come after rent is due. How can I communicate the situation to my landlord?

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has written a Letter to Landlords that can be shared with property managers explaining the situation. In the event that you need to request accommodations from your property manager, we recommend printing this letter and a copy of your Financial Aid Award Letter (located within your My Aid Status) to help them understand the circumstances.