University of California, Santa Barbara

Education Abroad Program

  • How do I Apply for Financial Aid for EAP?

    EAP students apply for Financial Aid in the same way as any other undergraduate student. Please visit Applying for more information.

  • How does the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships Know that I am an EAP Student?

    The campus EAP office will provide our office with a list of EAP participants.

  • When will I Receive My Financial Aid Award?

    Your Financial Aid award will be available once the budget for your EAP program has been determined and your FAFSA has been processed by our office. Your award will be adjusted according to your EAP budget. After you are awarded, you will receive an e-mail from our office, notifying you that your award is available to be viewed on tab 4 of My Aid Status. We will make every effort to have your award available at least 30 days before the start of your program.

  • How will I Receive My Financial Aid?

    Our office will notify the University of California Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) Office of the Financial Aid awarded to you. Those awards committed by our office will be applied to your UCEAP account. If there is a remaining credit balance after the fees ar paid, the money will be disbursed to you in one payment or a series of payments by the UCEAP office. For more information regarding disbursements, please visit the UCEAP website. Disbursements can be automatically deposited in an account that you designate to UCEAP or a check will be sent to the U.S. address indicated on the EAP Financial Address form.

  • Will My Grants and Scholarships Transfer to My EAP Program?

    Yes, all of the grants and scholarships awarded to you can be used to pay for your EAP expenses.

  • What Happens to My Work-Study Funds while I am Abroad?

    Work-study funds will be automatically converted into additional loan eligibility.

  • Are There Any Scholarships Available for EAP Students?

    You can find information about EAP scholarships on the UCEAP website and EAP website.

  • What is a Visa Letter? Do I Need One?

    Some students need to show proof of financial support in order to receive a visa to study abroad. You must complete the Visa Letter Request Form, which is available in our office, at the front desk. Please allow three business days for processing.

  • How do I Designate a Relative or Other Responsible Party to Act on My Behalf?

    EAP students are strongly encouraged to designate a relative or other responsible party to act on their behalf by completing the following two forms:

    • Power of Attorney: The person assigned Power of Attorney has the authority to conduct financial transactions in your place while you are abroad. This arrangement cannot be established once the student is abroad, as it requires notarization. For more information, visit the EAP website.
    • Consent to Release: This form allows the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to release Financial Aid information to the third party that you designate. You may access this form on our Forms tab.
  • What Happens if I Withdraw From My EAP Program?

    If you withdraw from the EAP program pre-departure, any aid that has credited to you will be debited from your EAP account. If you attend UCSB, we will reinstate aid for that term once you enroll.
    If you withdraw from the EAP program post-departure, the UCEAP Office will revise your aid and a Withdrawal calculation will be done by our office. Once the revision is done, you may need to pay back money to UCEAP.
  • How do I Pay for Airfare?

    You are required to pay for airfare up front and may be reimbursed when you receive your financial aid disbursement. Your aid will disburse no sooner than seven days before the start date of your program.