• Can I Access My Student's Financial Aid Information?

    The confidentiality of student Financial Aid information is protected in accordance with the Federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 and UC Santa Barbara Policy and Procedure “Student Education Records – Disclosure of Information” issued March 2004 (available from the UCSB Registrar).

    Providing access to student Financial Aid records or information contained in these records to unauthorized persons is also prohibited. Your student’s information cannot be disclosed to third parties (parent, spouse, sibling, friend, landlord, associate, etc.) without their express written consent.

    If your student wishes to grant access to you or another third party, he/she must complete the Student Consent to Release UCSB Financial Aid Information to a Designated Third Party form. This form must be completed each academic year.

    This form is available in the Forms.

  • What is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

    The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is a figure used to determine your student's Financial Aid. The calculation of the EFC is based on the information that you provided on your FAFSA. This figure is not an actual amount that you must pay but an approximation of how much you should reasonably be able to contribute to your student’s educational expenses this academic year.

  • What if Extraordinary Circumstances have Reduced My Ability to Pay for College?

    If a student or their custodial parent(s) have been adversely affected by extraordinary circumstances that have reduced their ability to pay for college expenses, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships can review those circumstances in order to recalculate the expected family contribution. This could potentially increase eligibility for need-based aid subject to the availability of funding. Please visit the Appeals section of our website for more information. Remember that these appeals are reserved for extraordinary circumstances only and will require the student or parent to provide additional documentation supporting these circumstances.

  • What is the Parent PLUS Loan?

    The Parent PLUS loan is an unsubsidized loan that parents may borrow to pay for their student's expenses. For more information, please visit the Loans section.

  • How is Financial Aid Disbursed?

    Student fees are assessed by the Registrar’s Office and billed by the BARC (Billing, Account/Receivable and Collections) Office. Our office will begin crediting aid to student BARC accounts before the beginning of each quarter. In order to have aid credited, a student must be registered in a minimum of six units. Any questions regarding a student’s bill should be directed to the BARC Office.