• How do I apply for Financial Aid?

    To apply for Financial Aid, you must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA). Refer to How to Apply for more information.
  • How Much Does it Cost to Attend UCSB?

    To view the estimated cost attendance for Graduate students at UCSB, visit Cost of Attendance.

  • What Types of Aid Can I Receive?

    Visit Graduate Types of Aid section for more information.

  • How Do I Receive My Aid?

    Loans from our office are disbursed to a student's BARC account. For more information, visit FAQ.

    The disbursement method of fellowships and extramural funding depends on the type of assistance. For more information, please visit the Graduate Division Financial Support website.

    Please remember that loans administered by our office are disbursed on a quarterly basis: yearly awards are split into three quarterly disbursements. This may or may not match with the disbursement schedule of funding from other sources.

  • What Happens if I Receive Additional Assistance Through Another Source?

    The combination of Graduate students' loans, work-study, fellowships, fee remissions, and health insurance awards cannot exceed the "Budget" listed on their Financial Aid Award Letter.

    In other words, if a Graduate student has received an award letter containing loans and then receives a fellowship from their department, their loan eligibility will be reduced to accommodate the fellowship. If the student has already taken out their loans, they may be billed for a portion or all of the loan funds already disbursed to their BARC account.

    Information about additional financial assistance for Graduate students—including fellowships, fee remissions, and heath insurance awards—is reported to our office periodically throughout the academic year. Thus, in many cases an award may not be reported to our office until late in the academic year. Graduate students should review their award letter for any types of assistance that have not been reported and then plan for changes in Financial Aid that may occur throughout the academic year.

  • Can I Still Receive My Loans if I am Studying In Absentia?

    Students studying In Absentia are still enrolled at UCSB, and are considered to be UCSB students. So long as you are enrolled in at least 4 units, you are still eligible to borrow your Direct Loans.

    As students studying In Absentia receive a tuition discount, their loans are reduced accordingly when their In Absentia status is reported to our office. Students should take this tuition discount into consideration when deciding how much to borrow.

  • How Does a "Leave of Absence" Affect Loan Repayment?

    When a Graduate student is on an approved "Leave of Absence," they are not considered to be enrolled at least half-time. As a result, your Direct Loans will no longer be in deferral, and you will enter your grace period. The Direct Loan Servicing Center will contact you regarding the repayment of your loan.

    After you return to UCSB and are enrolled at least half-time, you are once again entitled to your student status deferment. However, you will not regain the amount of time deducted from your grace period during your leave of absence.

    For more information about loans, including information about deferment and grace periods, visit Graduate Loans.

  • As an International Student, What if Don't Qualify for Federal Aid?

    Information on financial assistance for international students is available from the Office of International Students and Scholars.

  • I am going through a financial emergency; can I get help?

    If you are experiencing a financial emergency, please contact the Financial Crisis Response Team by emailing financialcrisis@sa.ucsb.edu. This team assists students who are facing a financial crisis or urgent financial need that jeopardizes their path to graduation.